I'm disappointed to report that after two years there has been limited progress in the leasing of Moorooka Bowls Club. While the delay was initially due to COVID, more recently progress has been held up by Brisbane City Council who refuse to take responsibility for handing over the facility in good condition.
- Take on the cost of updating the facility at a cost of $500,000 to $600,000. This is despite Council spending over $1m giving the Sunnybank Bowls Club a renovation after it became vacant!
- Take on a facility with leaking pipes, rotting floorboards, outdated kitchen and non-accessible toilets. This is in addition to a range of other issues requiring maintenance both internally and externally.
- Sign a ‘Confidentiality Agreement’.
I’m pleased to advise the following local traffic safety improvement works have commenced to address motorist and pedestrian safety along Sherwood Road and its intersecting streets. These improvements were identified in previous consultation with the local community.
The following works will be undertaken:
• modifying the existing traffic island to the west of the Brisbane Markets to incorporate a pedestrian cut through crossing point to allow safer pedestrian access across Sherwood Road
• installing a new footpath on Sherwood Road, adjacent to the car park, incorporating revegetation works
• installing pedestrian splitter islands and associated line markings on Golf Links Road at its intersections with Sherwood Road
• modifying the existing traffic island on Sherwood Road between Albert Street and Melbourne Street, to incorporate a pedestrian cut through crossing point to allow safer pedestrian access across Sherwood Road
• upgrading kerb ramps, sections of footpath and turfing on Sherwood Road at its intersections with Abercrombie Street, Melbourne Street, Sperling Street, Albert Street, Carisbrook Street and Golf Links Road
• the removal of 24 trees identified as part of the project to provide adequate sightlines for all road users and pedestrians
• installation of yellow no stopping lines to improve visibility for motorists and pedestrians, and to formalise existing no parking areas.
Brisbane City Council wishes to advise of landscape work which includes new tree planting and subtropical understorey planting for Ipswich Road, Moorooka between Gaba Tepe Street and Durack Street. This section will be transformed over the coming weeks with plantings of ground covers, shrubs and trees.
NOW OPEN! Enter our Worm Colouring Competition for Moorooka Ward residents of all ages. Go into the draw to win a Worm Composting Farm complete with worms! There will also be 10 runner up sour worm confectionary prizes up for grabs!
Competition closes Wednesday 12 May 2021. Winner and runners up will be announced Friday 14 May 2021.
Winners must be a resident of the Moorooka Ward including the suburbs of Acacia Ridge, Archerfield, Coopers Plains, Moorooka, Nathan, Rocklea, Salisbury, Willawong and parts of Annerley, Durack, Oxley and Tarragindi.
COMPOST REBATE PROGRAM
Did you know composting and worm farming help reduce your household's food and green waste with the upside of being rewarded with valuable compost for your garden? Right now Brisbane City Council is offering eligible Brisbane residents the opportunity to claim a rebate of up to $70 off the purchase of eligible composting equipment.
Learn more about Council's Compost Rebate Program here. Don't forget to scroll down to view the Step by step guide to worm farming video to get you started.
GRACEVILLE - Sherwood-Indooroopilly RSL Sub Branch
7am Community March, assemble at corner Verney Road East and Appel Street
7:15am March down Verney Road East onto Oxley Road into Graceville Memorial Park
7:30am Morning Service at Graceville Memorial Park, 173 Oxley Road, Graceville
SALISBURY SERVICE - Salisbury RSL Sub Branch
5am Dawn Service at Memorial Park, Industries Road, Salisbury (please note no Gunfire Breakfast this year due to COVID)
8am Morning Service at Memorial Park, Industries Road, Salisbury
TARRAGINDI SERVICE - Yeronga Dutton Park RSL Sub Branch
6:30-7am Dawn Service at Ekibin Memorial Park, Cracknell Road, Tarragindi
YERONGA SERVICE - Stephens RSL Sub Branch
7:30am Morning Service at the Cenotaph in Yeronga Memorial Park, Ipswich Road, Yeronga
Please note there will be no service this year due to COVID at the Acacia Ridge War Memorial in Grenier Park, Acacia Ridge.